Mr. C K Thomas becomes the Principal of the College
(The first Indian to become Principal of the college)
CMS College is observed as the best college in Madras Presidency
Rev. Joseph Peet becomes Principal of the College
( It was during his principalship that the College was shifted to the present campus)
Archdeacon Robinson, who visited the College, reports of the curriculum used in the college, which includes Selectae e profanis, Virgil’s Aeneid, Cicero’s Orations, Horace’s Epistles, Demosthenes, the first six books of Euclid and plane and spherical trigonometry
The College enters into a period of Bicentenary celebrations.
UGC confers the prestigious ‘Heritage Status’ upon the College
College re-accredited with Grade A and 3.27 GPA by NAAC.
NAAC re-accreditation of 2007 brings B++ rating with a score of 84% to the College
The University Grants Commission recognizes the institution as CPE – College with Potential for Excellence.
The College accredited with the highest status of Five Star by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council.
175th anniversary of the College inaugurated by Shri Arjun Singh, Union Minister for Human Resource Development
The College affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam.
The College gets affiliated to Travancore University (later, in 1957, the University of Kerala).
Girl students admitted to the College for the first time.
Askwith hostel for boys starts functioning in the college
The two-year F. A classes started. CMS becomes a Second Grade College, with its first batch of students appearing the F. A Examination in 1892
Royal visit of Maharajah Vishakam Thirunal Rama Varma to the College.
Publication of ‘Vidyasamgraham’, the first college journal in India modeled on the College Magazines of Cambridge and Oxford
Universities established in Calcutta, Bombay and Madras. CMS College gets affiliated to Madras University and becomes its only centre in Kerala to offer Matriculation exam.
College Chapel built and opened for worship.
New buildings set up for the college.
The College moves to its new campus on a beautiful hillock of around 60 acres, on which already was the Principal’s quarters. Classes are run in temporary thatched sheds.
Church Missionary Society enters into a phase of independent functioning, without links with regional denominations.
Royal visit of Maharaja Swathi Thirunal Rama Varma to the College and Press. Bailey’s help is sought to establish a press at Thiruvananthapuram, to undertake government-related printing tasks.
Centenary year of the College
A full-fledged department for translation functions in the College.
Col. James Welsh, an officer of the East India Company, visits the College and reports of a well established “library containing 2,250 elegantly bound volumes on Theology, Astronomy, Mathematics, and History, in short every other science, English, French, Latin, Greek, Syriac, Hebrew, Malayalam, Persian, Arabic, and German languages as well as a repository of scientific instruments — all of which are of best quality.”
Encouraged by the Hindu munshis (teachers) who taught Malayalam, Hindu students enroll in the College.
Printing Press arrives from England
An astronomical observatory first of its kind in india was present
also almost all scientific instruments known to the then world were present – (as noted by Col. Welsh and Archdeacon Robinson)
Benjamin Bailey establishes a printing press at Kottayam
Fenn establishes his living quarters in a hillock called Annankunnu. Renovated first in, this building (Fenn Bunglow) continues to be the official residence of CMS Principals.
Rev.Joseph Fenn was made the Principal of ‘Cotym College’ by Rev. Benjamin Bailey and he himself concentrated into establishment of a Press and Bible translation.
Establishment of ‘College Cotym’ which later became CMS College, Kottayam, Rev. Benjamin Bailey took charge as the first Principal of the College.